Blogger Profile

Name: La Nina
Location:
  New Jersey

I'm a Jersey girl without the big hair or the accent (well, most of the time anyway), but with all of the bad driving and the penchant for weekly manicures.
Oh, and I'm an interior design student. That's how all of the weird terminology comes into play.

View My Complete Profile

Wednesday, October 27, 2004
Relief
RELIEF - Carving on a surface so that figures and objects are raised against a background. High relief (haut relief) is deeply cut; low relief (bas relief) is shallower. (from Nuttgens, The Story of Architecture 2e, Phaidon, 1997)

After the disaster that was my midterm, I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for comfort within myself in order to remember why I chose the interior design school track in the first place. I found it in two places – one internal and one external.

Internal

When I went to visit my parents on Sunday, I was telling them how much I was enjoying the course and how the field felt like a good fit for me. Then my dad told me that he remembered my first interior design encounter.

I was five years old and my family had just moved into a new house about a mile and a half from the old one, but it was built specially for us and provided me with a blank canvas of a bedroom. So one night as my parents entertained friends and relatives in their new dining room, I stood on my bed with crayons in hand and added my own personal touch to the wall. Twenty minutes later, I had a purposely (or so I like to think) crooked “Home Sweet Home” sign flanked by purple flowers and candy hearts proclaiming “I Love You.”

When my parents discovered what I had done, I was so proud that they didn’t have the heart to reprimand me. “You seemed so innocent about the whole thing,” my father chuckled in disbelief on Sunday. Instead, when they painted the room a girlie pale pink (at my request), they gave my drawing an oval frame in pink paint.

It feels good to know that I’ve felt the need to design since I was little.

External

Last night I went to
The International Fine Art and Antiques Dealers Show on Park Avenue in NYC.



I demand to see more green on this site!


My God, this stuff was gorgeous. I saw Rodin sculptures up close, some of the most exquisitely detailed writing desks I’ve ever seen, and a $27,000 silver bowl filled with jelly beans. (Somebody there obviously had a much better sense of humor than me because I had a fleeting urge to empty the bowl and polish it because I had deemed it too precious for jelly beans!)

I vow that I will one day I will have clients that can afford these things. I’d love to be able to afford it myself, but I set my standards low. :)
(I’m not British, but I can scale it down a bit)

Starting tomorrow and ending Monday, I’ll be in Orlando for a wedding with Ryan. I might write some stuff while I’m there and backdate it later, but we’ll see. I’m off!

    posted by La Nina @ 1:06 PM  

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
I find this blog very interesting and I will come back often.
In the meantime I can recommend wedding reception decoration picture
This is a directory of all You need to find out about wedding reception decoration picture.
So please, don´t miss this opportunity to find out all You need to know in one place.
wedding reception decoration picture

1:17 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Great blog, keep up the good work. Glad to see sites like this.

Here is another good site I said I would pass along.
Disney
Thanks

2:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graet Blog. I have found another blog that may also be useful. You can find it at interior decorating career

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graet Blog. I have found another blog that may also be useful. You can find it at interior decorating book

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site folks, been looking for this kind of information. I have a related wedding speech
site also. You may want to take a look some time. wedding speech
I'll definitely be back.

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog, keep up the good work!
I have a site to wedding announcement.
It's a free information site on wedding announcement.
You should check it out if you have the time :-)

6:38 AM  
Blogger Daniel said...

Yours By Design Heating and Cooling is a full service Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) contractor based in Blaine, MN
installing residential heating and air and commercial heating and air.**Heating****Cooling**valor gas fireplacevalor gas fireplace

9:52 AM  
Anonymous wood stove said...

I purchased a wood stove wanted to save on the heating cost this year.my Fireplace Chimney site related to everything about fire places and wood stoves.So save on the higher heating cost and burn some wood.Have a great day bye.
Fireplace Chimney

3:01 AM  
Blogger Car Insurance Center said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about auto insurance quote so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home