Blogger Profile

Name: La Nina
Location:
  New Jersey

I'm a Jersey girl without the big hair or the accent (well, most of the time anyway), but with all of the bad driving and the penchant for weekly manicures.
Oh, and I'm an interior design student. That's how all of the weird terminology comes into play.

View My Complete Profile

Monday, November 22, 2004
Catch
CATCH - a fastener that fastens or locks a door or window (from Hyperdictionary)

When the sound of money fills my ears, it's usually a good thing. Usually. On Saturday night it was not.


All hopes for a civilized drink were shot...

A cacophony of bouncing metal was happening behind me in a (not really a) dive bar on Amsterdam Avenue on the Upper West Side. Until it began I was having a lovely time having a drink with Ryan and a couple of his college friends, and thrilled by the fact that we managed to find a bar that was not only not packed to the brim (unlike
The Gin Mill, our first choice bar which was being attended by every University of Florida fan in the tri-state area) but also allowed us to sit down at a table. Once I heard the initial cha-ching, I was a bit confused as I looked to the table behind me, where six people were trying to bounce their loose change into a cup.

"Aren't they a little old for Tiddlywinks?" I asked nobody in particular.

"Actually, I think they're playing quarters," came the response. I didn't see the difference. Maybe I'm just becoming a curmudgeon in my old age.


All of the fun with prettier colors!

I did my best to concentrate on the conversation at hand, but it was really, really hard because all six of them were doing it at once. Yowza (my Inspector Gadget reference for the day, since every day needs an Inspector Gadget reference), that gave me a headache. At one point I got all passive-aggressive on their asses by staring at them. Yeah, go me and my bad self.

Then I felt something slide down the back of my trousers. Oh dear. I've heard that you could bounce a quarter off my ass, but this was ridiculous (rim shot!). So I did what any self-respecting girl would do. I shouted "Oh my God, that just totally went down my pants!" then I made a bit of a show of fishing the sucker out and placing it in the hand of the girl behind me, waiting for her to be completely grossed out.

No such luck. She turned around and continued playing with the quarter that had been dancing cheek to cheek with me just moments before. Sheesh. Some people have no respect for hygiene.


I don't like where this has been...

That, ladies and gentlemen, was our cue to leave and a really weird end to an otherwise pleasant evening. I guess I'll just have to place this one under the file: "Whatta catch!"

Update: This story was so interesting, it was written from two different perspectives. For Ryan's version of events, click here. Highlight: "After maybe 45 minutes, she’s on the verge of saying something, and then, out of nowhere, her face goes from 'focused intently on listening to something Edie is saying' to 'completely surprised in the way Lucille Ball was when she stepped into the pool of grapes'."

    posted by La Nina @ 11:15 AM  

7 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

LOL! That is such a New York story right there. Though why were people playing Quarters in public? That's normally reserved for a corner of a very crowded frat party, not a city bar!

1:30 PM  
Blogger La Nina said...

Hey Karen! I was wondering the same thing myself...

2:20 PM  
Blogger p-dookie said...

there aren't any dive bars on amsterdam avenue.

2:47 PM  
Blogger La Nina said...

Okay, so maybe my inner snob is coming out or something. McAleers wasn't quite a dive, but in my defense, it was dark so I made some snap judgements.

http://mcaleers.citysearch.com/

Interestingly enough though, there is a place called "The Dive Bar" on Amsterdam Ave.

http://newyork.citysearch.com/customer_website/11349680?redirect=http://www.divebarnyc.com/divebar.html

Hee. Check out the chick getting groped.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Mister Underhill said...

Hahaha

Anyone playing quarters aka coins in da geto is no doubt not going to be put off my touching someone's ass quarter.

There is some tv show I saw where this guy came up with a plan to build his confidence by shoving pennies up his ass...the theory being that eventually everyone in America would have touched one of his ass pennies and therefore whenever he met someone he would start things one up on them.

Sorry if my disgression grossed you out.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Cantona said...

Funny story. I think anytime money ends up down pants theres a good story behind it :)

9:09 AM  
Blogger La Nina said...

Mr. Underhill - Interesting theory. Hope you haven't tried it yourself. Sounds rather uncomfortable. :)

Cantona - Good to see you! I think that's true. Especially if it happens to a stripper. How often does that happen with their pants still on?

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home