Blogger Profile

Name: La Nina
Location:
  New Jersey

I'm a Jersey girl without the big hair or the accent (well, most of the time anyway), but with all of the bad driving and the penchant for weekly manicures.
Oh, and I'm an interior design student. That's how all of the weird terminology comes into play.

View My Complete Profile

Thursday, December 02, 2004
Collage, Part Two
COLLAGE - A technique in which pictorial images or patterns and pieces of colored, textured material are superimposed onto each other. (from the DIY Residential Wallpaper Guide glossary) - BTW, yes, I'm going to keep using this definition until I finish the series.

Mom and Dad's moms and dads

Today's discussion of the wall deals with my grandparents on both sides. None of them are alive anymore. Some I was intensely close to, some I had never met. I love them each in different ways.


The Maternal Side - Grandma and Pop-Pop

Mom's mom and dad

I felt like the luckiest kid in the world having these two as my grandparents, and in all fairness, I still do. They were incredibly, smart, accomplished, active, funny, well-loved people. And they spoiled their grandkids rotten. That doesn't hurt matters at all. What matters to me the most, however, is what they've left with me now that they're gone.

Pop-Pop encouraged my altruistic side (Which is appropriate since somebody mentioned that he looks like Jimmy Carter in that photo - I mean, check out the link. Separated at birth? Who knows?). A former mayor, entrepreneur, and civic leader within the county where I grew up, he encouraged us to get involved and do good works. I volunteered at the hospital where he was board chairman. My brother became an Eagle Scout in the district where Pop-Pop won the Distinguished Citizen Award for his mentoring work with boys both in the Scouts and in juvenile hall. The man had a big heart, and he encouraged everyone around him to put theirs to good use.

Grandma encouraged my artistic side, which is where I found my soul. She was the chair of the local art museum, and was thrilled to see all of my ballet recitals and theatrical performances (poor woman broke her toe when leaving one of them). My first job was working in that art museum. To me she was the most glamorous woman I'd ever seen - on a par with Lauren Bacall - and worked as a New York model in the 30s before her doctor mother tried to force her into pharmacy school and she rebelled by getting married to my grandfather (yeah, work that one out all you feminist historians out there). I only hope to have a tiny bit of the confidence and charisma she possessed, though I did follow in her footsteps as a model for a little while.


Runs in the family, I guess.

She would be thrilled to pieces that I've decided to pursue interior design. I still miss her terribly in the ten years I've lived since she died, and wish desperately that I could share this time of my life with her, though I know I'm ever so fortunate to have been touched by her at all.

The Paternal Side

Dad's mom and dad


I never knew my dad's parents. Heck, my mother never even had to have that dreaded meeting with the in-laws, since they both died before my father turned 20. I don't know that much about them, to the point where I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't know my grandfather's first name until a few years ago.

I know they worked very hard to provide for my dad and his two older brothers. I know that they both died of heart attacks before turning 55. I know that they had a hand in making my dad the wonderful man that he is.

Sometimes that's all that I need to know.

So I'm pretty sure that I'll be tying up this series tomorrow, if the workload doesn't get to me first. See you then.


    posted by La Nina @ 3:03 PM  

5 Comments:

Blogger Cantona said...

A really nice post :) I migth rip off your idea and post about my grandparents. How come you look completely different in every picture you post?

11:47 AM  
Blogger La Nina said...

Hee. I don't know. I guess I'm versatile like that. Perhaps that's a good thing. You'll never see me coming in a sneak attack. :)

12:06 PM  
Blogger Curator said...

I love *old* photos!

1:50 PM  
Blogger La Nina said...

:) Somehow that doesn't surprise me, Curator.
Glad you got your daily dose.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graet Blog. I have found another blog that may also be useful. You can find it at decorating in interior miami

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home