Blogger Profile

Name: La Nina
Location:
  New Jersey

I'm a Jersey girl without the big hair or the accent (well, most of the time anyway), but with all of the bad driving and the penchant for weekly manicures.
Oh, and I'm an interior design student. That's how all of the weird terminology comes into play.

View My Complete Profile

Thursday, April 07, 2005
Old Growth
OLD GROWTH - Old, naturally established trees often characterized by dense straight grain and a lack of knots and defects. (from the Woodzone.com Woodworking Glossary)

Somebody please, get me a walker. A cane will do. And some Ben Gay. And Motrin. Some morphine, perhaps?


My new best friends... they know my pain.

Here is why I hurt. Back in November I started a kickboxing regimen which I have been keeping up with ever since, averaging 4 days a week. Sometimes my dedication shocks me. There have been many days in which I'll get up at 5:30 in the morning wearing my gym clothes so that I can make my 5:45 class (as I will do tomorrow). I've been hitting the bag so hard that my knuckles have been bruising, so now I have to wear tape on my hands and wrists in addition to wearing gloves. On Wednesdays I'll rush home from work in order to make the 6:00 class, rush home again, shower, change, scarf down a sandwich, and head off to my 7:30 drawing and sketching class. Yeah, I know. Stupefies me too sometimes.

Hee. I kick ass.

Now save for the first few weeks when I started again, I haven't experienced the soreness I've been known to get in my quadriceps from time to time. Then came the dreaded lunges that our instructor has grown extremely fond of as of late. We do many, many, many of those in succession as though our knees are experiencing an extreme force of gravity as we walk circles around the gym.

Ow.


"The extensors of wrists and fingers are connected to the -- bi-ceps." Doesn't quite work as well, I fear.

Now my legs feel as if they're made of jelly but look like they're made of titanium when I walk. I'm sure it's very amusing to the casual observer as my knees wobble with each step I take in my pointed-toe shoes. Sure, I hear their cruel laughter as I pass by, but I know how cut my arms are so the joke's on them. *sniff*

Fortunately for me I have a hair appointment tonight or I might have subjected myself to another instance of premature aging. In the meantime, please pass me my pills and my shawl, dearie.

    posted by La Nina @ 3:28 PM  

10 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

So which Golden Girl do you most relate to? I'm probably most like Sophia. She's short and sarcastic and loves Italian food.:)

4:24 PM  
Blogger La Nina said...

I'm probably Rose since my boyfriend loves to take advantage of my naivete (which is a euphemism for "gullibility") though I would have once said Dorothy since I'm tall and can be sarcastic. :)

10:06 AM  
Anonymous pinksundrops said...

You DO kick ass. Sheesh that makes me tired AND sore just reading about it.

1:26 PM  
Blogger H Fink said...

I randomly fucked up my neck last year from stress and carrying law books and I couldnt turn it or move it. I needed assistance getting out of bed.

Man I understand why so many old people hate life. Poor dudes.

6:18 PM  
Blogger injinuity said...

cute..very cute pics of the golden girls, been ages since I saw a rerun of the show... seeing them altogether I just couldnt help commenting... anyways keep rocking mate.

2:19 AM  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

owwwww I feel your pain I recently re-started a gym regime ow ow ow!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Rory said...

Blanch! She is so my Mom.

Hope you're feeling better, Grandma! Would you like to play a game of scrabble?

11:27 PM  
Blogger TaraMetBlog said...

I've been wanting to try Kickboxing but now I'm having second thoughts. Then again my yoga classes do the same thing to me. Last week I went jogging on the West Side Highway walk/run path thing and got tendinitis :( So weird how I can run on a treadmill but not outside. It's making me nervous for the 5k I'm doing for breast cancer next Saturday. Anyway I digress, just wanted to say I feel your pain and that I love watching Golden Girls, even though I've seen every episode 10 times already.

12:24 AM  
Anonymous QC said...

Gah!!

I started The Firm a couple of months ago, and it was just about as bad at first. The soreness does eventually go away...this, too, shall pass!

2:39 PM  
Blogger TadaDiscounts said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Memory It pretty much covers Memory related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home